Every month, our group of 8 friends get together for supper club. We rotate the host. Each host is in charge of picking the theme and entree. The other couples are in charge of a drink, side dish or appetizer, and dessert that go with the theme. This month we were the hosts. I chose a Citrus theme because it’s starting to get warm, and I love citrus!
My main course was lemon braised chicken. Here is the original recipe. My update recipe is below. This was for 8 people, so you could definitely cut it in half for a family sized meal.
Along with the chicken, I made lemon poppy seed biscuits (basic buttermilk biscuits but omitted cheese and added zest of 1 lemon and 1 tsp of poppy seeds) and an arugula salad with orange slices, slivered almonds, craisins, and a raspberry vinaigrette. Annie made Smokey Sausage cups with puffed pastry filled with orange marmalade and kielbasa topped with gouda cheese and more orange marmalade (they’re in the back corner of the plated meal).
Kirsten made the cocktail which was grapefruit vodka and seltzer. She garnished with fresh grapefruit slices and gummi rings. For us pregos, we had seltzer with grapefruit juice. It was equally delicious!
And last, but definitely not least, Missy made lemon bars topped with a lemon slice. They were so delicious and a perfect way to end our citrus supper!
- 12 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel
- Heat dutch oven to medium-high heat
- Drizzle chicken thighs with olive oil
- Season skin side with salt, pepper, and lemon zest
- Add chicken to pan in batches, skin side down, and sear on both sides until golden brown (2-3 min per side) Drain excess fat in pan as needed.
- Place seared chicken on a plate to brown remaining chicken.
- Remove all chicken from pan. Lower heat if needed.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken stock and lemon juice, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan as your pour.
- Bring stock to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour into chicken stock and whisk until smooth. Let simmer and thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Place chicken back into the pan and cover with lid.
- Cook in the oven for an hour.
- Remove pan from the oven. Serve warm with gravy and fresh chopped parsley.
- This can be prepared ahead. You can brown the chicken and set aside. While the pan is still hot, stir in garlic and deglaze with the chicken broth and lemon juice. Add in corn starch mixture and simmer to thicken. Set that aside until ready to braise. An hour before dinner, bring broth to a simmer, place the chicken in the pot and cover with lid. Place in oven for an hour and serve warm.