Anyone who knows me, knows that I have some hippy tendencies! I hate taking my kids to the doctor. I mean, I’ll go if I need to. But I try to avoid it at all costs. A) it’s expensive and B) I feel like they’ll contract some other illness while they’re there. So instead, I focus on building their immune systems rather than always being on the defensive and curing the sickness after it’s hit!
The gym we go to has an amazing childcare facility. That being said, there are lots of children and LOTS of colds and viruses going around all the time. The most recent was hand foot and mouth. I heard about kids dropping like flies over a period of two weeks. And after going through it with Turner two years ago, I started having post traumatic stress tics just reliving the terror in my mind. He had the worst case I’d ever seen. Like, the kind you google and cringe when you see the photos. It was more like “Hand Foot Mouth Butt and Entire Body”. This is what he looked like ….
I’m sorry you had to see that. But now you understand my fear! With HFM running rampant, and school starting this week, we have kicked our immune boosting remedies into high gear! These are some of the things we do!
1. Probiotics in the kids’ milk or yogurt every morning.
2. Turmeric and cinnamon in their yogurt. Turmeric has a lot of antibacterial and antiviral properties. It’s actually quite amazing. You should google it! When I start to feel sick I take a tsp of turmeric mixed with a tsp or two of local honey. I’ve started giving that to Turner too (1/2 the dose) now that he’s older and can handle it. I call it his “honey medicine”.
3. Immune Boosting Oils–You can read more about oils HERE. I’ve been using them for a few years now and I just love them! I could talk about them forever and describe every kind I love and why! But for now, I’ll stick to the topic. In this glass roller bottle I combine 10 drops thieves, 10 drops frankincense, 5 drops lemon, 5 drops purification and fill the rest with a carrier oil. I roll it on the bottoms of their feet morning and night, put socks on, and apply pressure for a few seconds. They love it! I also diffuse Thieves during naps and bedtime for an hour or so. Keep in mind, this is when we’re fighting or trying to prevent something! I don’t go this overboard on the daily.
4. And last, but not least, I make these gummies packed with everything but the kitchen sink! They’re delicious and they really work! The kids haven’t been sick in ages. And if they do get a cold, it seems milder compared to how they used to be! I put turmeric, Spinach Powder, Beet Powder, Elderberry Syrup, Gelatin (similar HERE), and local honey in them.
Let me know how you like these! Feel free to comment with your favorite booger busting tricks!
- 1/3 cup tart cherry juice
- 3 Tbsp gelatin
- 1 tsp spinach powder
- 1 tsp beet powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 T honey
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 4 oz elderberry syrup
- Microwave cherry juice in a large bowl for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the gelatin until completely combined.
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients, in order, one at a time until completely combined.
- Pour into molds and refrigerate for at least two hours. Store in the fridge.
- *Molds-I used 100 small gummy bear molds and 15 larger silicone molds that I had on hand. If I give them gummy bears, I'll give them about 5 or 6 as one serving. If I give them the larger gummies, I give them one or two.
- *The gelatin is grassfed collagen. It has great health benefits. Most ingredients can be found on Amazon (linked above) or Thrive Market App.